HENRY HENLEY PUBLIC LIBRARY
The first library in Carthage was created in 1883 as a subscription library. There were 177 books that could be borrowed by the town residents with an annual subscription of $1 per year.
Henry Henley wanted the town to have a free public library and donated $1,000 for that purpose. On August 1, 1889 the first board of directors were elected and the name of the library given to honor the benefactor. The library at this time was located in the old Carthage Bank.
The children of Henry Henley donated $2,000 to the building fund and along with subscriptions from other citizens two-thirds of the cost of the new building was assured. The other third was raised through taxation. In 1901 the current library was built at a cost of $6,500.